top of page

Old Zion Church

"a Teardrop Dims His Misty Eye"

The early settlers of New Berlin were largely made up of members of the German Lutheran and German Reformed Churches. The two groups shared a building, the Old Zion Church, until 1881. It was established in 1814 at the Zion Cemetery – what is now the North Canton Cemetery on Pittsburg Road. After 67 years, Elder John Sheets and Elder Daniel Reemsnyder Sr. worked to move the Reformed congregation closer to town. “It was located on town lot #48, the site of the present Zion United Church of Christ. Henry Holl wrote a poem dedicated to the Old Zion Church for which “a tear-drop dims [his] misty eye” (Basner 12-19).

bottom of page