The Village Proprietor
John Hower: Blacksmith & Tavern Owner
By 1831, there were several roads – not much more than paths – that were in our part of Stark County. One road which later became Main St. went north to Greentown and south to Canton. Portage Road was the path to the church. And what would become Maple St. led to mills on the Nimishillen Creek and Zimber Ditch. Near this intersection, was the Village Proprietor, John Hower. He was the local blacksmith and a tavern owner. Representing some of the other land owners, Hower hired surveyor Samual Bachtel to lay out the first 23 lots. The survey was recorded on Feb. 19, 1831.